Important information - the Government has doubled the Winter Energy Payment for 2020 in response to COVID-19.
The following is an extract from Work and Income NZ.
The Winter Energy Payment is an extra payment to help with the cost of heating your home over the winter months.
You don’t need to apply – if you’re eligible, you’ll get the Winter Energy Payment automatically along with your other regular payments from Work and Income.
You’ll automatically get the Winter Energy Payment if you’re getting:
- NZ Superannuation
- Veteran’s Pension
- Jobseeker Support
- Jobseeker Support Student Hardship
- Sole Parent Support
- Supported Living Payment
- Young Parent Payment
- Youth Payment
- Emergency Benefit
- Emergency Maintenance Allowance.
You can’t get the Winter Energy Payment if you:
- Don’t get one of the payments listed above.
- Get an overseas pension which means you don’t get any NZ Super or Veteran’s Pension.
- Get Residential Care Subsidy or Residential Support Subsidy.
- Live overseas.
1 May to 1 October 2020
Couples are paid $63.64 whether you live together or separately.
You’ll get the Winter Energy Payment automatically along with your other regular payments from us (either weekly or fortnightly).
The Winter Energy Payment:
- Doesn’t affect your other payments from us, or your Income Related Rent.
- Is a non-taxable payment.
- Can’t be paid as a lump sum.
NZ Super or Veteran’s Pension couples
The Winter Energy Payment is paid to one person in the couple at the rate of $63.64. The system we use for payments can’t split it to pay into 2 separate accounts.
Generally, we’ll pay it into the bank account of the person in the couple who has the lowest client number - you can find this on your SuperGold Card or letters from us. The letters about the Winter Energy Payment have also been sent to the person with the lowest client number only.